My online group over at Tavern Keeper just finished up our Spark for Fate Core campaign creation for Heroes Accelerated and we have kicked off the first scene. While we are using Fate Accelerated as the basis for our game, the Spark works just the same. Some of the steps such as Media Inspirations, Genre and Scale were already set as we pretty much knew those going on. However things really shined once we moved on from those. Everybody pitched in some great stuff to make the setting of Pacific City setting start to live and breath.
Here is the campaign elevator pitch and the listing of our Media Inspirations…you can see all the other steps in the Google Doc.
It’s another time, another place… a world where street gangs rule their turf with an iron hand and the tendrils of organized crime are everywhere. Pacific City is decaying…the law is corrupt and has lost control. The Cold War is at its height, every corner holds a secret and the enemies of a nation lurk in the shadows…who do you trust? The streets overflow with danger and corruption…the citizens of the shattering City don’t sleep at night, fear in their hearts.
The citizens define themselves by the neighborhood or borough where they come from…districts with names like Richmond, Highpoint, the Sprawl and the Battery. Each neighborhood connected to the other by streets in disrepair, an aging subway and/or a rickety elevated train system. This is an urban landscape where life is cheap, fame is fleeting, gangs prowl the shadows in some boroughs and practically rule in others.
But a new breed of hero is starting to rise and take back this once proud metropolis; you are those heroes…steadfast, vigilant, and patriotic…welcome to Pacific City.
- Arrow, The Cape, Flash: General dynamics and relationship between a team of heroes.
- Gotham, Streets of Fire, The Warriors: The appearance of the city, visuals and the mix of technology.
- Heroes, Tomorrow People: Regular people with newly found powers trying to cope with them.
- Kick Ass, The Punisher: Vigilante characters whose actions have consequences.
- Spectacular Spiderman: Mix of ongoing personal drama tied into episodic action.